Procedure for processing the personal data performed by Liepaja city municipality.
The purpose of the procedure for processing the personal data performed by Liepaja city municipality (hereinafter - Municipality) is to provide a natural person (hereinafter - Data subject) with general information regarding the processing of personal data, the purpose, extent and protection of processing, as well as to inform the Data subject of the rights and duties thereof.
When processing personal data, the Municipality shall comply with the valid laws and regulations of the Republic of Latvia, as well as with Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) and other applicable legal enactments regarding the privacy and data processing.
All terms and definitions used in the Procedure shall be interpreted within the meaning of the General Data Protection Regulation.
To fulfil its functions and to provide services in the most efficient way, it is necessary for the Municipality to collect, process and use certain types of information about the Data subjects and organisations.
- Data controller
Data controller for the processing of personal data is Liepaja city municipality;
Registration No 40900016437;
Address: Rožu iela 6, Liepaja, LV-3401;
Telephone: +371-63404750, e-mail: email@example.com.
The institutions and agencies formed by the Municipality shall be considered as the Data controller’s structural units, they are not separate data controllers.
Collection and processing of personal data
The Municipality collects personal data of the Data subject directly from the Data subject, state institutions or third parties if there is a legal basis for that. The Municipality processes the Data subject’s personal data in paper format, electronically, by phone (recorded conversation) or by conducting video surveillance. The processing of the personal data is performed by the Municipality employees, who are authorized to perform it or any of Processors, with whom the Municipality has signed an agreement. In general, the processing of personal data is performed so that the Municipality can fulfil its duties or rights specified in the regulatory enactments, for example, to perform the administration of real estate taxes, to provide education or social services to Liepaja residents, to ensure that citizens are informed and have access to cultural and sports events or to ensure registration of civil status acts.. If the Municipality does not have the necessary data, the Municipality may provide the Data subject with incomplete or poor quality services, failing to ensure the Data Subject's rights or imposing unjustified duties on the Data Subject (e.g. failing to register on a nursery waiting list or miscalculate to real estate tax, etc.).
- Data protection principles
While processing the data the Municipality observes the following principles:
1. processing personal data in a manner to ensure appropriate security of personal data, including protection against unauthorised or illegal processing and against accidental loss, destruction or damage, by using appropriate technical or organisational measures. The Municipality takes all the necessary measures to process the personal data in compliance with the requirements of the valid legal enactments;
2. processing personal data lawfully, in good faith and in a transparent manner for the Data subject;
3. collecting personal data only for specific, clear and legitimate purposes and their further processing will not be performed for other than the specified purposes. Except the cases, when it is necessary to fulfil the functions and roles specified in legal enactments.
4. processing personal data adequately, appropriately and solely as necessary to achieve processing purposes;
5. processing only precise personal data and, if necessary, updating them;
6. personal data is stored no longer than necessary for the purposes, for which the respective personal data is processed.
The personal data provided by the Data subject shall not be transferred or processed outside the European Union and the European Economic Area, but, if so, the Data subjects will be informed before the data are processed.
- Purposes and legal basis for the processing of personal data
The Municipality shall process the personal data of the Data subject only when there is a legal basis to do so:
1. for the fulfilment of legal obligations under the legal enactments in order to enable the Municipality to fulfil its functions and tasks, as well as to provide services such as education for the population, social assistance for the population, etc.;
2. for the establishment, maintenance and enforcement of contractual obligations with the Data subject with a view to concluding an agreement on royalties, the provision of education, the provision of co-financing, etc.;
3. for carrying out a task in the public interest, exercising the powers legally conferred on the controller, organising public events, filming and taking pictures during the events, filming advertising video on public events, etc.;
4. for exercising the legitimate interests of the controller or third parties in order to protect the Data subject against any damages caused by third parties, to protect the public order, to prevent or investigate offences, to ensure compliance with the legal enactments, and to provide information in accordance with the rights of the persons. In particular, in order to protect the Data subject or other vital interests of the Data subject, video surveillance shall be carried out in the city and in particular institutions (e.g. schools) for the purpose of public safety and order. The Data subjects shall be informed of the performance of video surveillance by appropriate informative signs;
5. In some cases, the processing of Data subject’s personal data may take place only on the basis of the consent given by the Data subject, for example, in order to receive e-mails on the Municipality’s news.The Municipality may store the personal data of the Data subject in the archive to preserve the evidence, for historical, research or statistical purposes.
- Storage of personal data
The Municipality shall store the personal data for the period specified in the legal enactments or until the moment when the purpose for which the data were collected has been achieved.
Personal data provided by the Data subject based on his or her consent shall be kept by the Municipality until the purpose of collecting the data has been achieved or when the Data subject withdraws his or her consent.The Municipality may also store personal data of Data subjects until their request to delete the data, but not always the Municipality will be able to execute the Data Subject's request to delete the data. The Municipality, insofar as the processing of data is necessary to fulfil a legal obligation, is not entitled to delete the personal data of the Data subject.
- The rights of the Data subject
Before collecting the personal data or when the personal data is collected, the Municipality will inform the Data subject why the Municipality needs the personal data of the Data subject. The Data subject will be informed by separate informative leaflets, information on application forms, information contained in contracts, informative signs, audio notification or orally on the reasons why the Municipality needs the personal data of the Data subject and what the Municipality will do with the personal data of the Data subject pursuant to Article 13 of the General Data Protection Regulation.
The Data subject, when submitting an application to the Municipality in person and presenting a personal identification document or when sending an electronically signed document in accordance with the procedures specified in legal enactments, has the right:
1. to address the Municipality and to request information on the processing of personal data by the Municipality;
2. to require supplementing or correcting, deletion or limited processing of his/her personal data or to object to the processing of personal data of the Data subject, as well as the right to data portability. The Municipality will consider the request of the Data subject and implement the rights of the Data subject in compliance with the requirements of legal enactments;
3. to withdraw his/her consent for the processing of their personal data where the processing of personal data by the Data subject is based on the consent of the Data subject, but does not affect the legality of the processing operations carried out when the consent was valid;
4. to file a complaint regarding illegal processing of personal data at the National Data Inspectorate if the Data Subject has reasonable doubts;
5. in any case, to exercise all his/her rights as a Data subject as provided for in Chapter III of the General Data Protection Regulation.The Municipality will consider the request of the Data subject and implement the rights of the Data subject in compliance with the requirements of legal enactments. The Municipality shall provide a reply to the Data subject’s request no later than within one month, in some cases the Municipality may extend the period for providing a reply for another two months, respectively informing the Data subject thereof.
- Exchange of Information
In order to provide efficient services to the Data subject and to fulfil its functions, the Municipality shall exchange information between the authorities, agencies and municipal capital companies that perform any function delegated by the Municipality.
When Data subject provides bis/ her personal data to a single authority, the data may be transferred to other authorities in the municipality, in so far as it is appropriate, proportionate and necessary for the Municipality to fulfil its functions and to provide services.
The Municipality may transfer the personal data of the Data subject to other organisations when it is necessary and allowed or required by legal enactments, including the possible transfer of personal data to law enforcement authorities or other state and local institutions.
Personal data may be transferred to processors (a natural or legal person, a public authority, an agency or other structure which processes personal data on behalf of the Municipality), if this is necessary for the provision of functions and services of the Municipality.
The Municipality may transfer the personal data of the Data subject to third parties, but only when it is necessary to comply with the obligations provided for in the legal enactments or if it is permitted by the personal data protection legislation.
- Personal Data Protection specialist
The functions of the Municipality’s personal data protection specialist are performed by the Data Protection Division of the municipal institution “Liepaja City Municipality Administration”. Municipality’s data protection specialist’s telephone: +371-63422331, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.Data subjects may refer to a personal data protection specialist in all matters related to the processing of their personal data by the Municipality and the implementation of the rights provided for in the General Data Protection Regulation.
- Other information
In the event of any questions or uncertainties regarding the processing of personal data by the Municipality, Data subjects shall contact the Municipality using the contact details referred to in Paragraph 1, including contacting the Municipality’s Data Protection specialist.
Municipal institutions and agencies are entitled to approve their own procedures for the processing of personal data carried out therein. When approving their own procedures for the processing of personal data carried out therein, institutions and agencies shall comply with the principles and conditions provided for in this Procedure, adapting it to their needs and specifics of the processing of personal data carried out.
- Information on recording phone calls is available here.